Charlton Athletic Football Club Women
Lewes 2-1 Charlton
Lewes 2-1 Charlton
Report by David Brenchley
Page last updated at 6:28PM UTC, Sunday, 06 December 2020
Two first-half goals condemned Charlton Athletic Women to a 2-1 loss against Lewes Women at the Dripping Pan on Sunday, despite a spirited second-half display that on another day could have seen the Addicks pull the game back.

After a quiet first 40 minutes, Lewes struck twice in the dying stages of the opening period through Megan Mackey and Samantha Quayle to give Charlton an uphill task going into the interval. 

The Addicks came out determined to make amends for what was a sluggish first-half display, dominating the second period but, despite a Lois Heuchan consolation, could not grab the equaliser at the death. 

It was Lewes that commanded the opening period, with Simran Jhamat and Katie Rood going close in the early stages. Later in the half, Eartha Cumings made an excellent double-save to deny Rhian Cleverly at the back post. 

Charlton created a few chances but failed to really test keeper Tatiana Saunders with Jenna Legg screwing once well wide with the outside of her foot before some good build-up play saw Charlotte Gurr feed Jess King but the striker could only drag her effort wide of the near post. 

But with the game looking destined to go into the break scoreless, Lewes win a free kick at around halfway that Ellie Leek launched forward, the ball dropped kindly for Mackey, who stabbed the ball home from outside the area. 

Five minutes later, the hosts had doubled their lead when right back Quayle somehow managed to bundle the ball past four Charlton defenders and slam past Cumings from close range. 

Manager Riteesh Mishra responded with a double substitution at half time, bringing Ella Rutherford and Ellie Dorey on for Beth Lumsden and Shauna Vassell. 

Charlton upped the tempo and for the most part kept the home side pegged back inside their own half. One early corner ricocheted harmlessly wide for a goal kick and a few half chances came and went. 

Lewes looked dangerous on the counter attack and Jhamat had a great chance to make it three but could only shoot wide when one-on-one with Cumings. 

Just past the hour mark, Charlton finally found a way back into the game when the ball fell for Heuchan and the defender did well to lob Saunders for 2-1. 

Charlton continued to push and were unfortunate not to find that elusive equaliser with Dorey seeing a shot cleared off the line and Clifford looping a last-minute effort onto the roof of the net. 

But Lewes managed to hang on for the three points and leave Charlton rooted to the foot of the FA Women’s Championship table. 

Lewes: Saunders, Quayle, Cleverly, Lane, Cousins, Jhamat (Jones 73), Leek (Porter 70), Howells (Savva 70), O’Rourke, Rood (Donovan 70), Mackey (Hack 80). Subs (not used): Hartley, Noble, Boswell, Griffin. 

Charlton: Cumings, Roe, Smith, Clifford, King, Gotch, Gurr (Laudat 82), Legg (Griffiths 60), Vassell (Dorey 46), Heuchan, Lumsden (Rutherford 46). Subs (not used): Eligon, Coombs, Watling. 

Recent Results
First Team
Date Opposition Score
13 Dec 2020 Leicester City 0 - 2
06 Dec 2020 Lewes 1 - 2
22 Nov 2020 Sheffield United 0 - 1
No results are available
Upcoming Fixtures
First Team
Date Opposition Venue
24 Jan 2021 Coventry United A
28 Jan 2021 London City Lionesses H
07 Feb 2021 Liverpool H
No fixtures are available
Recent News
Other News
Riteesh Mishra reflects on Lewes defeat
Lewes 2-1 Charlton
Jess King looks ahead to Lewes
MATCH PREVIEW | Lewes v Charlton Athletic Women
Development Centre Update
Riteesh Mishra reflects on Sheffield United defeat
MATCH PREVIEW | Charlton Athletic Women v London City Lionesses
London City game to be streamed on Valley Pass
Katie Startup returns to Brighton
Charlton 1-1 Durham
BreamTeam - Digital Creative Company